Monday, March 15, 2010

Trust and I are almost blown away...

We did a great urban track today using two locations by crossing a busy 4-lane road. All of a sudden the locations in town are pretty bare! The day was only +5 and the wind was very cold -35 km gusting to 53 km. At times I was blown forward. I decided to age the track just two hours as I felt it would be very difficult with the winds in the open areas and it was a long and tough track. Figuring I'd have to help Trust in a few places (I didn't) she had me running in a couple of hard surfaced areas - I was so impressed with her work ethic today.
We started way back in grass (all grass is dead, newly uncovered) and crossed the interlocking brick walkway into the building entrance. She is just coming up to her first article, a plastic light switch. The track turns left near the corner and stays on grass heading into wind

We move up between trees and she investigates the heating/cooling machinery to the left, then back on the track towards the parking lot.

Normally, this area is completely full and busy, but being Sunday, we had some nice open areas. She is just moving onto pavement.
Trust has found a wood article on a yellow crossed parking line as I head up to see. Her corner is way up ahead.
We have made the left turn and are heading back to the other side of the parking lot. The yellow line shows where she scented around to the right of the track and the blue is the wind.

Trust has tracked around the 'other' side of this car, the track was actually laid on 'this' side of it, but wind is blowing crosswise.
This is a blurry photo, but I left it in to "show the wind". My pants, coat and the tracking line are being blown like crazy. Trust has just moved off the pavement and will be crossing a corner of grass here, then out over another driveway.

She has indicated a little cloth glove in this area, which I am holding up to show our photographer of the day, Tascha.
We have crossed the driveway, and a section of dirty "stuff' on the way to a little lawn area with lots of garbage.
We've made another turn, gone down into a ditch and Trust is helping to pull me up the other side, while she checks out a piece of foam. The orange arrow shows my line rolled up. As I saw we were headed toward the ditch and the road, I collected my line for crossing. That's for safety, but normally your line should not be your concern and just let it drag out behind.

We've crossed the road, moved over a small grassy area, turned right, crossed a driveway and are up on a little island. We will cross the driveway again, another island and find two articles.
The first is another plastic one and the second a glove that our intrepid tracklayer dropped by accident as she was walking....so that was a bonus for Trust.
We're at the "surprise" article and will move up on another island, turn on it to the right, and head out across a longer stretch of pavement. This is another stretch she had me running.

She is headed over to another island; the track runs along the curb, then up on the grass and moving out onto pavement again.
Off the island, crossing a driveway and parking places onto a grass stretch along that 4-lane road. She will make a right turn on here and start moving along to her final article.
She knows she's close! She's working this stretch quickly, and a little to the right of the track, the wind is very strong.
Trust indicates by sitting at the article while I go up to reward her. Trust really enjoyed this track, and I was really happy how she worked it. There were some tricky areas, about 8-9 legs, as one was pretty curvy following islands, and six articles. Trust was really happy with herself!