Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Mourning Doves

I love the mourning doves. They are so soft-looking and their "cooing" voice is so soothing. I took a series of pictures, and discovered something new. When they blink, the light blue rim around their eyes is a blue eyelid that closes over the eye. You can see this in the top picture.
It's really neat. At first I though something was wrong with this one, but other pictures show the same thing. This pair has been here for about a week, so we hope to see young ones later on.
The purple finch (which are red) and goldfinch and woodcocks are back now also. The grouse comes every late afternoon to feed, and I've watched her take the same route through the bush each night. I'm sure she has a nearby nest in the forest and just hope the raccoons don't find it this year....