Saturday, May 29, 2010

Trust - May 24th - 1st laid, second on

So, this is the second track of the day, and the one aged longer. Both were less than the required minimum time in a trial (3 hr.) as the heat/humidity/dryness is just too tough to be working these dogs in. This is not "life and death" it is a sport. So Trusts' first track was aged just under 1 1/2 hr. and this one was just over 2 hr. Each is very different, this one has some shady areas, but more pavement. I had two people come over to talk to us in this track, and poor Trust got a bad deer fly bit on the top of her nose near the end of this track. By the time I saw it, it had already bit her just before I squashed it.
Van parked over here, we started in shade under tree, crossed parking lot/driveway (person parked right on the track to talk!) and then sun dappled shady grass, over driveway, into treed spot with sparse grass and pine cones. I'm standing at her first turn looking back to take this.
Her first article is just ahead between some of the trees, she's obvioiusly found something worth smelling by this rock.
We turned from the grass into a sandy parking area. Just before I took this picture a fellow was rushing up behind us to stop us and tell us there is a loose dog that lives there...just so I'd know.
I appreciated that, I've seen this particular dog, it seems harmless, old and slow, but you never know.
She's found her second article and will be making her MOT turn further up on the pavement.
Trust worked nicely along the paved parking area, her turn was close to dead on, and out the driveway which turns to gravel. The arrow points to a wood article. She had moved over to the grass before this, but zeroed right in on the article.
I've laid the track off to the left, behind a stip of grass that was not cut when I laid the track. I'm not really sure here why she was tracking all along on the right side of the road. It didn't make sense to me with the light breeze here why she didn't once head over to the left, but seemed to know exactly where she was going??? I did wonder if she was pooped by this time and just had enough. However, at the "right place" she turned right and headed into the grass to the final article. Just one of those puzzles...
And here she is at her final article. You can clearly see the bump on top of the poor girls' nose.
We had a nice walk back to the van, through a lot of shade; she didn't seem worn out at all, but it was hot by this time. I had given her water at every article, by the way, and wiped her face down. I would have stopped had I thought she was in any distress at all, and would not work any later in the morning in the heat.
All burning up here has been banned and the long weekend just past, all fireworks were also banned. I really can't remember such a long spell of hot and dry weather, and we badly need rain.