Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Field Tracking today

This is Maurita and her Standard Poodle, Thomas. They took classes with me last spring and earned a Tracking Dog title in the fall. They are hoping to be ready to enter a TDX this fall, and I was evaluating their progress today. They did great! Aren't we lucky to have so many lovely fields with great views to work in!!!
It was so cold this morning, the winds were extremely high and gusting, and we even had snow blowing in at times. My camera did not like the weather and was 'sticking' so I'm afraid I didn't get too many pictures. I had hoped to have Maurita take pictures of Blast and I tracking, but it wasn't to be. I believe Thomas is on his 3rd leg here, after making a nice start. Maurita said he tracked faster than normal today, even with the high winds, his nose was down and he was motoring along.
They have just come out of a dry marshy grass area with no problems on the turn in there. Maurita looks frozen, but Thomas is certainly having a good time. He has a couple of more corners, which he did really well, before his article. Maurita will be adding more length, aging, and a second article to work forward toward the TDX.