Friday, July 23, 2010

Finally - Good Tracking Weather!!!

The top two pictures were my tracking fields today with Blast, both recently cut. The first one was the main portion of our track, some clover and sparse grass mixture; the second picture shows the change into the alfalfa field, about 8" high. Dull, drizzly day, such a nice change from super hot and humid.
The first four legs of Blasts' track were in the field above, and the next two legs were in the alfalfa - you can see the dividing line in the picture below.


Second corner, it took me this long to organize the camera and the line handling. It's often impossible for me to take pictures "behind Blast", and most end up a blur...
He's nearing his third corner here. Today I put a small piece of chicken on each corner to see if he "stuck" to it better. He seemed to, but then the conditions were pretty perfect, so not sure how much difference it really made.

Something took him off the track (yellow) briefly here, he was just starting to turn his head and shoulders back onto the track in this picture. The crossover to alfalfa is coming up, which he didn't even notice.

Last corner in the alfalfa, and a really long leg to his final article. This was actually the field we were in a week or so ago next to where the bear came out.
Blast had six legs, five corners, two articles, longer than a TD with change of ground cover, and aged 40 mins
Just reached final article. He's always anxious to "keep on tracking" so I'm not asking for any indication other than what he's offering right now. It's usually just a pause or stop to check it out, maybe not pretty, but clear enough to me, or a judge. Occasionally he picks it up before I reach him, and we usually play with it a bit, mainly tugging and tossing. Today I also brought a ball/bungee and we did a number of throws with that after.
I actually had taken the ball out when I laid the track and left it about 15' past the final article so we could pick it up fairly quickly. He was a pretty happy guy.
Field across from our finish, most recently cut one, which I will work on in a few days. It's cut so short it's like veg. cover on an urban track! I'm so lucky to have so many field choices.