Monday, July 12, 2010

An "Interesting" Tracking Morning....

Early Sunday morning, in one of my most favorite places to track...the area has four huge hayfields with an 'unopened road' through the centre. The area surrounding these field is forest and bush, with the Wasi River cutting through and behind one of the fields. It's like heaven on earth and a refuge for assorted wildlife and birds. If you enlarge the above picture, you can appreciate a small portion of it - this shows a beaver dam across the river. The field I chose to track Blast in, is in front, backing onto the river. I heard sandhill cranes cackling as I laid Blasts' track, but unfortunately, couldn't see them. They were likely over a hill, closer to the water.
This deer was returning from the river and heading across the road through the fields and into the forest. I laid a track for a student in the field (out of the picture) to the left, and figured it likely had crossed the track twice...of interest, if the dog paid any attention. We were just about to go on it.
This is wild turkey mom with babies following, but flitting off here and there so not able to 'capture' them. I didn't want to follow for the pictures and upset them.
As I was pulling out, I met Mr. Bear crossing the road. I had put my camera in the back and had to stop, get out, grab the camera and get back in the van to take it, through the windshield...I'm a chicken! So meanwhile, he wasn't sure what to do about me, and had moved back a little.
I drove up hoping he would "wait" as he decided to go back the way he came, into a bushy/forested area. Now the funny thing here was, Blast had finished his track alongside this area. At one point, he flipped around and stared into the bush, while I urged him to get back to tracking. I've no doubt, the bear was in there as we tracked past. This spot he showed up on the road was coming directly out of this area.
Always "something" seems to happen when we are tracking, but not often so many 'events' in one morning!!!