Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Morning Bird Feeding

Do you know what this is? A "rear view" of a barred owl flying into the forest. Silent gliders, you can see the spread of the tail and the wings just lift and swish them off, appearing effortless.
This Barred Owl was sitting for ages on top of the post. He had been watching a squirrel for a very long time, but no way to reach him. I've seen a few barred owls in the past few weeks, and one lovely little Saw-Whet Owl. Normally, late at night before bed, taking Kira out. This was odd for this one to still be here.
I was concerned he was hungry, rather than still hunting, and held off going out to feed the birds hoping he would catch something or fly off. The bluejays were flying around and screaming at him, but he paid no attention to them.
Eventually, I went out and walked slowly up to within 8' of him. He looked ok, but showing no concern about me coming so close didn't seem normal. I hope he is ok.
The males are smaller than the females. Very pretty birds, and hope he is not having trouble hunting. Crust on snow is a problem for them, which is what worries me. Right now it is snowing like crazy again.