Friday, August 27, 2010

Rained out so Heritage Carousel...

On Wednesday, I laid a great track for Trust at the waterfront in North Bay. It is a busy place, walkers, bikers, dog, and summer folk right now. There were 5 articles, 8 long legs and a really nice mix. Aging was exactly 3 hr., and there was a steady breeze off Lake Nipissing. Well, once again, after the long, hot stretch, it decided to rain a little before we started the track. On the first leg it began to pour. I was not expecting rain, not dressed for it, and totally soaked in no time. As well, it was running off my head, down my nose, and if facing the wind, I couldn't keep my eyes open. She did "pretty good".....I think!!! We never found one article, not sure if it was removed, blown off, or we just plain missed it. So....no pictures of her track.
However, while it aged, I watched the Heritage Carousel for a while - it is truly amazing and beautiful. The workings are really antique and restored, the horses, etc, have all been hand carved and painted by local artists - all volunteer. After this one was finished, they started a smaller one with all northern Ontario animals instead of horses.
Each horse is named, and modelled after "old" ones, and each has a story. A heritage railway is also set up behind the two carousels for rides. A wonderful spot for locals and tourists. Tickets are only $5. for 3 rides on your choice of any of them. If you're interested in finding out more: