Friday, September 3, 2010

Uh-oh! A 'surprise' on Blasts' track

Thursday morning, this field was criss-crossed with tracks from a tractor that had removed all the round hay bales the previous day. I wasn't too concerned about that, it would be interesting to see if, and how much, attention Blast might pay to these. However, there was more of a distraction on his last leg. When I laid the track, shortly after the last and fourth corner, I came upon the remains of a leg of a freshly killed deer. It was no more than 2' beside the track. I could not just "stop" or veer off either. So, this became a totally unexpected "training opportunity". What would Blast do, and how to handle it?!
Blast has just turned on his first corner, onto the second leg here. The 2 red arrows point out the track which is quiet visible before the corner.
I took sooooo many pictures on this track, but since both of us were often running along it, most of them are complete blurs. Usually, the corners are a little 'calmer' so most pictures are there.
Here, he has made his second corner onto the third leg. This turn and the leg run up the centre between tire tracks. The third corner actually is centred in a crossing of four tire tracks. He worked this a bit but really had no problem.
Above, on his fourth leg, with multi track crossings; this is also where he seemed to pick up the 'scent' of where I think the deer leg had been dragged or perhaps even was brought down. He did veer off a couple of times, and had his nose buried in the ground, but a couple of verbal cues brought him back to the track.
Whoa! What's this?! Blasts' hind legs are ON the track, and he's just stepping over to his discovery. What a reward this could be! Knowing it was coming, I had moved up very close behind him, and I was holding tight, letting him smell it, but I definitely did not want him to lick or grab at it, and did not want him staying there getting overly stimulated. This was just too exciting for a "Leave It!" command at that time to actually "work".
I just held my ground, I did give him a little tug while telling him to leave it and repeated his find command more than once. The instant he started to move off, I praised him, told him to find again, and reluctantly, I think, he moved on. He did pause a couple of times to glance back, ever wishful, but shortly picked up his speed again on the track. I was very happy with this.
You can imagine how tough this must be for a dog.
The deer leg forgotten, he had rushed along this leg to the article. What a good guy!
I had thought, dare I let him loose to play with the article? It appeared to have been forgotten after the article was found, and we spent a few minutes doing a number of throws and tugs. I was just careful not to throw back in that direction.
You just never know what you may encounter on these field tracks!!!!!