Friday, August 5, 2011

Search with Kira Wed.night

I've been doing quite a bit of work with Kira and scent searches. I don't put too much on here, but she's pretty amazing and I've been working on something a little different for a couple of weeks. I have small cotton pads that I am using, so they are identical, and not carrying any other scent - like a piece of leather might be, or a material item. To begin with, these cotton pads had my scent on them, and then I had a friend scent some and they are popped into a plastic bag, sealed. I also have my husband scent some and do the same with them. I can then age them as long as I want before using them as hidden articles.
Kira was 9 months old yesterday, and she amazes me with her eager work ethic and finds these cotton pads so quickly I can hardly believe it. They are completely out of sight, and vary from floor level to over her head. I don't make it easy.
The red arrows in each picture point out the locations the cotton pads were hidden. In this case, it was between the cushion and the place mat below it. She had to flip aside the cushion to get it.Back in between the frig, and cupboard, she had to reach in, and scratch it out with one paw.Down between the magazines in the crock, she worked to get it out, then sat and looked at me, as it had gone further down, and I removed it.This one was back on the edge of the tub between the shower curtains.Between pages in basket up on a shelf. She indicated, tried but couldn't reach it, as the basket was coming out on her, so I removed it.Underneath the pillow on the bed. She scented around the top side of the bed before jumping up and locating the pad under the pillow.Under the blanket over Trusts' bed.
These cotton pads were scented 24 hr. previously and remained in the plastic bag until I placed them. I left them 20 min. and took her outside for few minutes and back in to do a directed search on leash. I used 4 different areas to place them (7) and she just zipped around finding each one with no problem. A happy girl!