Friday, March 18, 2011

Blast does Hard Surface

Thursday I was heading into town for a few errands and taking Kira with me to the Post Office, Beer Store, garage and any other place for her to visit; kids on bikes were a new one for her. I decided to take Blast in case there was any suitable surface to work him on.
This place was great, no grass still, but started on a bit of dead stuff/mud/ice. When we parked, I had forgotten about the crazy dogs that ran the fence line across the road. I expected a bit of a problem with this, but Blast just looked at them 'with disdain' and headed straight to the start.
We moved out onto driveway (this width all the way around in a "U" shape, and he did great. As this was the first one, and urban is still new to him (got his TD last fall) I used some food along the track where I thought it might "help".
Because Blast is fast and a strong puller, I was unable to get any pictures until almost the very end. We had gone through a short area of snow, and about 1/2 was paved and 1/3 was gravel, broken up in sections. By this picture, he had already found a cloth article and a plastic one. Very nice "nose-down" working with a lot of distractions of people walking, cars whizzing by, after we got out of the "crazy dog" area.
He just made his last turn here and has the food treat after the corner. Good conditions, of course, it was wet, and aged under an hour. I have him on a 6' leash to make sure I work on the tension, and not let him wander (if inclined) and from yesterday, learned my long line would be filthy and wet to hold on to properly.
I wedged the final article against the snow to "hold it" and make sure it wasn't picked up. He worked really nicely, I was happy with his attitude most of all.