Saturday, December 15, 2012

Wow! Two Pileated Woodpeckers!!!

 If you have never seen a pileated woodpecker, they are a sight to behold!
Huge, the largest of the woodpeckers, often just in the deep woods.  They leave a giant pile of "wood chips" at the base of the trees, pulling off bark in chunks.  This morning I heard one close to the north side of the house...they really sound like woody woodpecker!
 I was astonished to see TWO of them, and staying close all the time, in the closest trees behind the house.  I grabbed my camera, and the battery was almost dead, but got a couple of pictures before running for my spare battery.
 If you are lucky enough to see them, usually we hear them but don't often see them, they look almost prehistoric...It was amazing to have this opportunity to watch them, so close.  All the pictures were taken from our bedroom window, I knew I would have no chance to sneak outside.
 The males and females look the same, unlike most bird species.  But I imagine this was a "pair". 
They almost seemed to be 'playing' with each other.  One would fly a short ways off to another tree, and the other would quickly follow.  I've hung out some 'bird fat' and hope they will return...and not 'something else' will find it tonight!