Wednesday, August 10, 2011

One Stop, Two Visits for Kira

What a bonus yesterday for Kira! After Emmas' track we were headed to Home Depot with Kira. Haven't been there in long time, well before their dog ban. Location fit in with our track locations, so off we went. While parking I saw a school bus in front of the doors, and they were just loading up kids coming out of the store.
I hurried over to talk to the driver, and then the lady in charge of the kids.
They were most receptive to "meeting" Kira, so on we got! I quickly discovered that small children of a very young age were the most attentive and could easily follow directions. There were actually four ladies looking after the kids, and was asked to speak a little first about what Kira was doing and I also took the opportunity to teach him to ask permission first to touch the dog, then let the dog smell their closed fist, and to never reach over the top, but go under the chin or on the chest to pat the dog. The kids were great!! We went down the isle and met every little person and Kira even gave about three of them a face kiss. They were ecstatic!!!
Kira was wonderful with them. She doesn't look for attention but receives it well.The kids all stayed in their seats, waiting for us to pass through. It was so worthwhile.Even the bus drive was impressed! Kira handles these situations like an old pro. I was very grateful they allowed us to do this, and so lucky to just stumble upon them.Spoke to someone when we went in, and they said she was fine to come in. So just casually walked down some isles, past some people, and checked out a few areas.Always fun to climb up a ladder! She reached the top, turned around and came down, no problem.Ooooh, how exciting is this!? A garbage pail to look inside. I take a quick look first to make sure there's nothing that would cause a problem in there. I borrowed this cart from a fellow that was checking some product, and once she got up, we just pushed it around a bit, banged it, and she balances on it.Ah, a man in uniform! We chatted a bit, nice fellow, says he has a weim. pup that is very active. I didn't notice she was sort of sitting up here until I saw the picture.I dropped her toy inside here, we had done a couple of tugs for rewards after some places; she couldn't reach it so I ended up taking it out, as I didn't want her jumping up and pulling these over. Don't want any disturbance that may keep us from being welcome next time I want to go there.This young lady appeared to want to see Kira, so I went over to her to meet her.
Shaking hands is always a cute thing that people like...having her sit calmly and doing this always wins points, especially for those a little concerned about a dog perhaps jumping up on them. I always explain to people that because she is young and in training, I actually want people to meet her, whereas if she was working, you do not touch them. A good day for Kira doing some "meet and greet" and inspectons too!!!